Becotide Discontinuation

The manufacturer of Becodtide® and Becloforte® pressurised Metered Dose Inhalers (pMDI) has written to healthcare professionals to announce the discontinuation of these inhalers from the third quarter in 2007.

The discontinuation will affect the following products:

• Becotide 50microgram pMDI
  • Becotide 100microgram pMDI
  • Becotide 200microgram pMDI
  • Becoloforte 250microgram pMDI

Since the majority of beclometasone inhalers are prescribed generically this announcement is likely to affect small numbers of patients. The inhalers listed above will still be available over the next 12 months so changes in therapy can be made during routine reviews.

Action: Consideration should be given to opportunistically changing therapy to the CFC-Free alternatives because the CFC containing products will all eventually be discontinued. The MHRA advice should be followed if CFC-Free inhalers are prescribed.

Share 'Becotide Discontinuation' on Email Share 'Becotide Discontinuation' on Delicious Share 'Becotide Discontinuation' on Digg Share 'Becotide Discontinuation' on Facebook Share 'Becotide Discontinuation' on Google+ Share 'Becotide Discontinuation' on reddit Share 'Becotide Discontinuation' on StumbleUpon Share 'Becotide Discontinuation' on Twitter

14 Comments to “Becotide Discontinuation”

1. I moved to Portugal 3 years ago. I took my prescription with me and have continued with 250 micrograms of Becotide ("Beclotaide Forte") ever since. In Portugal I can also buy it over the counter (without a prescription).
    As an aside, in December 2013, I told a UK doctor that I was taking it and she confirmed - inhale twice in the morning and twice before bed.

Comment by Barry Beamish — September 15, 2014 #

1. @Barry,

As far as I can tell from looking on the Portuguese Ministry of Health site, Beclotaide Forte is a beclomethasone inhaler that would be equivalent to BecloForte. But it's made by AlenFarma which is not the manufacturer that I am aware of that made Becotide and BecloForte.

Beclometasone is still widely available from many generics manufacturers, it is only the brands above that were discontinued.

Comment by Matthew Robinson — September 15, 2014 #

2. I've just had a prescription for becotide. I live in Ireland.

Comment by Cat — June 20, 2014 #

3. My doctor prescribed Becotide Inhaler when I was diagnosed on 2000. It is the most effective preventer I have ever used. I have tried other preventers including Clenil Modulite (beclometasone) and Seretide Diskus (fluticasone propionate) but found them no match to Becotide in terms of efficacy.
    Can the manufacturer let us into the secret behind the decision to discontinue Becotide?

Comment by julius onwujekwe — November 17, 2013 #

1. @Julius,

Some 7 years after the product was discontinued here in the UK, I doubt you would get any response at all from the manufacturer.

Comment by Matthew Robinson — November 17, 2013 #

4. My doctors have been prescribing me Becotide up to less than a month ago. Since then I have now been given Seretide 250 and it is not doing me one bit of good. I did not know that Becotide had been discontinued until today when I was looking on the internet for information about Seretide 250 dated 20/08 2013

Comment by mr francis marshall — August 20, 2013 #

5. Becotide is still available in Spain - I had the same issue and a friend sends it over for me.

Comment by Tim. W — June 12, 2013 #

6. @T Gould,

Are you sure this is branded Becotide and not generic beclometasone inhalers made by another manufacturer?

Comment by Matthew Robinson — January 4, 2012 #

7. Becotide is still available in Spain.

Comment by T Gould — January 4, 2012 #

8. actually it's the generic version (same active compound) Béclométasone (dipropionate) by Teva 250ug/dose (29.85€ 200 dose pressurised inhaler)
    hope that helps

Comment by C Dousson — October 4, 2011 #

9. Becotide are still available in France (as of Oct 2011)

Comment by C Dousson — October 4, 2011 #

10. We have now got to March 2011 and my wife has still not been able to identify an effective replacement for Becotide. Her GP is very supportive, but none of the replacements seem to to be as effective.

Comment by Tony Lock — March 15, 2011 #

11. James,

I'm sure that this inhaler has been discontinued globally. It is important that your friend is seen by a healthcare professional so that her inhalers can be check and her condition monitored.

Comment by Matthew Robinson — March 3, 2008 #

12. dear

please help. my friend has become very ill as a result of her inhaler being discontinued. can this product be obtained overseas? what can be done please.

sincerely