☀️     🌓

Microval Discontinued

Wyeth has decided to discontinue Microval, a progestogen-only contraceptive pill containing levonorgestrel 30 micrograms. This decision follows a period of supply difficulties and the withdrawal will allow Wyeth to rationalise their current hormone-based portfolio.

The withdrawal should not cause a great deal of disruption because an identical product is available from Schering Health. Norgeston contains levonorgestrel 30 micrograms per tablet and the pack size is the same as Microval (35 tablets).

Action: Clinicians will need to identify any patient who is currently using Microval and ensure that future prescriptions are for Norgeston if this choice of contraceptive is still appropriate.

Share 'Microval Discontinued' on Email Share 'Microval Discontinued' on Delicious Share 'Microval Discontinued' on Digg Share 'Microval Discontinued' on Facebook Share 'Microval Discontinued' on reddit Share 'Microval Discontinued' on Twitter

25 Comments to “Microval Discontinued”

1. Felicity,
    The chances of Microval making a return are virtually nil. I can't think of any medicine that has been withdrawn for commercial reasons that subsequently made a return to the market.

Weight gain is unusual with this type of contraceptive although not unknown. You should notice your weight stabilise though if you continue.

Comment by Matthew Robinson — February 6, 2008 #

2. Thanks for that. i have been to my doctors who have presecribed me Micronor which i seem to have gained weight on although I eat very healthly and take regular exercise. Will Microval ever be reproduced at all? Thanks

Comment by Felicity Ellis — February 6, 2008 #

3. Felicity,

Alternative mini pills are: Cerazette, Femulen, Micronor and Noriday.

There is also the possibility of Depo-Provera (a 12 weekly injection) or Implanon (an implant that can last up to 3 years)

All of these are progestogen only contraceptives, but there are other options like coils for example. As I said above, go and speak to your practice about ALL of the available options and then try the one that seems the best for you.

Comment by Matthew Robinson — October 16, 2007 #

4. I have tried lots of other mini pills before finding microval which suited me, they all caused me the same probems as norgeston, i cannot take the combined pill as it sends me mad either! Can you possibly suggest a brand which you think may suit me so i can mention it to my GP to see what they think? thanks

Comment by Felicity Ellis — October 16, 2007 #

5. Felicity,

It's getting on for 2 years since this product was discontinued. I don't think there will be any stock remaining in UK supply chain. Obtaining supplies from abroad would be problematic and potentially risky.

I'd suggest you return to your GP or practice nurse and explore the alternatives that are available to you.

Comment by Matthew Robinson — October 16, 2007 #

6. Microval was perfect for me no problems whatsoever and they have put me on Norgeston and i have been having periods every two weeks, weight gain, mood swings etc...is there anywhere that i could obtain Microval? thanks

Comment by Felicity Ellis — October 16, 2007 #

7. According to the information I can find the ingredients are identical apart from the coating on the tablet. Based on your symptoms it would be worthwhile checking with your local pharmacist about the ingredients and perhaps re-visiting your GP for a discussion about all of the options available to you.

Comment by Administrator — June 19, 2007 #

8. pls advise if there are any other ingredients in Norgeston that were not in Microval? I took microval successfully for a number of years before it was withdrawn, was switched to Norgeston last October and it has been an absolute nightmare, constant bleeding, severe abdominal pains, massive weight gain, bloating, very, very tender breasts, which combined has caused me to be very miserable! any advice is greatly appreciated as despite two returns to my gp, their only advice is to give it more time, it has now been a consistent nightmare for 9 months.

Comment by Terry — June 19, 2007 #

9. This product is discontinued but there are likely to be stocks remaining in the supply chain for some time. Provided the stock you receive is in date there should be no problems.

However, if you are experiencing abnormal bleeding it would be worthwhile visiting your doctor.

Comment by Administrator — February 22, 2007 #

10. Is this product back on the market? My doctor prescribed it to me. I got it at the phamarcy and the lot number on the packet is 083, EXP 11 2007.

I have taken 5 of them so far and I began to bleed 2 days ago.

Any assitance will be appreciated.

Jacqueline Trim