Doxepin discontinued

Doxepin (Sinequan)® capsules are being discontinued in all strengths according to the National Electronic Library for Medicines.

Doxepin is a tricyclic antidepressant with sedative properties. It is expected that supplies will be exhausted by October 2006 although some strengths may disappear sooner.

Doxepin is not widely used but is not available generically and therefore alternative products will need to be used if treatment needs to continue. Amitryptiline, Dosulepin or Clomipramine may be suitable choices.

Action: Clinicians should be aware of this products discontinuation and may wish to identify individuals currently taking this drug. Alternative treatments will need to be investigated if treatment will continue beyond October 2006.

Share 'Doxepin discontinued' on Email Share 'Doxepin discontinued' on Delicious Share 'Doxepin discontinued' on Digg Share 'Doxepin discontinued' on Facebook Share 'Doxepin discontinued' on reddit Share 'Doxepin discontinued' on Twitter

8 Comments to “Doxepin discontinued”

1. If this medication is being discontinued and expected to run out by 2006 how come I've been on it for 4 years?

Comment by Gordon Stuart Montgomery — November 7, 2019 #

1. @Gordon Stuart Montgomery,

At the time of the original post there were no generic options available. It seems that some stepped in and started making doxepin when the branded version (Sinequan®) was discontinued.

Comment by Matthew Robinson — November 7, 2019 #

2. Why has doxepin recently been discontinued in New Zealand? No reason has been given on the internet.

Comment by Colin Rammell — October 15, 2019 #

1. @Colin Rammell,

We don't use dose-in very much here in the UK, but an internet search I did found this:

Following some of the links suggests it was discontinued due to main ingredient shortages.

Comment by Matthew Robinson — October 16, 2019 #

3. I have been taking doxepin for almost 26 years, I am worried about switching to another medication besides doxepin because this is good medicine to control my anxiety and panic attacks. My question is which medication you would recommend to take instead doxepin when I finish my last month supply..thanks

Comment by Jesus Salabarrieta — August 7, 2019 #

1. @Jesus Salabarrieta,

There are a few options but your own doctor is best placed to advice as they have access to your medical history and can ensure the alternative is suitable for you.

Comment by Matthew Robinson — August 7, 2019 #

2. I've also been on Doxepin for 26 years and have come off it slowly. I'm now on to my second lot of replacement antidepressants and have gone through hell so far. Not suitable and a lot of GI side effects. My doctor says that my body will get used to it. Sorry, not going to happen as I've been on my current one for 2 months and there is no let up with the GI side effects and I feel very flat in mood, I've lost my spark that I had on Doxepin. There must be a closer alternative surely.

Comment by Warren Higham — January 15, 2020 #

1. @Warren Higham,

Doxepin is classified as a tricyclic antidepressant, there are several alternatives available in the UK. Amitriptyline, nortriptyline, imipramine and clomipramine are some examples you could perhaps ask your doctor about.

Comment by Matthew Robinson — January 15, 2020 #