Duloxetine (Cymbalta®) is an antidepressant that has been the subject of several previous postings. Some of this information is now in need of an update.
To clarify the current situation:
- The Scottish Medicines Consortium have restricted use of duloxetine in Scotland
- Lancashire Care Trust have restrictions in place on duloxetine
- The Summary of Product Characteristics recommends that patients (and carers) are made aware of the need to monitor for suicidal ideation/behaviour and that there is "close supervision of high-risk patients"
- The MHRA publication Current Problems in Pharmacovigilance recommends "careful and frequent patient monitoring during treatment is recommended, particularly for high risk groups."
- [Update] Leeds NHS Health Community (PCT, Acute and Care Trusts) have recommended restricted use of duloxetine
Action: The existing advice remains unchanged at this time; duloxetine should not be used as an antidepressant in a Primary Care Setting.