The National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) has published a clinical guideline on heavy menstrual bleeding.
The Quick Reference Guide provides a clinical definition of heavy menstrual bleeding as covered by the guideline and a care pathway for individuals presenting with heavy menstrual bleeding.
The guideline also details the place in therapy for several pharmacological interventions including:
- Levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system (First Line)
- Tranexamic acid (Second Line)
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (Second Line)
- Combined oral contraceptives (Second Line)
- Oral and Injected progestogen only contraceptives (Third Line)
Additionally, the guideline provides referral criteria for procedures such as endometrial ablation and hysterectomy.
Action: All clinicians and healthcare professionals who provide care to women presenting with heavy menstrual bleeding will find this guideline a useful reference and evidence summary.