SIGN and the British Thoracic Society jointly produce the guideline. This update includes:
- A rewritten section on diagnosis for both adults and children
- A section on special situations including occupational asthma, asthma in pregnancy and the new topic of difficult asthma
- Updated sections on pharmacological and non-pharmacological management
- An amalgamated section on patient education and compliance
- An amalgamated section on organisation of care and audit
The guideline is also available as a Quick Reference Guide that covers the key areas of diagnosis, chronic and acute management in adults and children, special cases (pregnancy and occupational asthma), care delivery and patient education.
Action: All clinicians who diagnose and manage patients with asthma should ensure they are familiar with and implementing current recommendations.