The National Prescribing Centre (NPC) has published a MeReC Bulletin (PDF) that summarises the current recommendations for lipid modification and addresses some important supplementary clinical questions.
The bulletin provides a summary of the lipid modification guideline published by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). The guidance is discussed in the following areas:
- Primary prevention of cardiovascular (CV) disease
- Secondary prevention of CV disease
- Statins in acute coronary syndromes (ACS)
- Statins in type 2 diabetes
- Evidence for "higher intensity" statins
- Evidence for newer agents (rosuvastatin and ezetimibe)
Action: Clinicians involved in the prevention of CV disease through the treatment of lipid levels will find this summary useful. It contains pointers to resources that will aid risk prediction, the patient decision process and treatment selection.