The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has published Drug Safety Update for March 2009 (PDF).
This issue contains a hot topic about the public perception of herbal medicines, a yellow card update that focusses on the rare adverse drug reaction of progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML) and drug safety updates in the following areas:
- Methylphenidate: updated guidance on safe and effective use in ADHD
- Atomoxetine: risk of psychotic or manic symptoms
- Antipsychotics: use in elderly patients with dementia
- Exenatide (Byetta): risk of severe pancreatitis and renal failure
- Bisphosphonates: atypical stress fractures
Action: Clinicians will find this publication to be a useful review of current issues in drug safety.
|« March CKS Update||Script charge increase »|