The Chief Medical Officer at the Department of Health has written (PDF) to colleagues within the NHS to provide details of the recommended influenza immunisation programme for 2011/12. The influenza chapter of the Green Book has also been updated.
The letter contains information on the following:
- Groups eligible for the seasonal flu vaccination for 2011/12
- Dosage, consent and patient leaflet
- Further advice on immunising pregnant women
- Frontline health and social care workers
- Improving uptake and data collections
- Vaccine virus strains and available vaccines
- Vaccine supply
- Contractual arrangements, service reviews and funding
The letter recommends a vaccination uptake target of 75% for both the over 65 age group and the under 65 with a clinical risk group. For this campaign it is also noted that poultry workers are no longer considered a risk group for seasonal flu and are not recommended for vaccination.
Action: Clinicians should be aware of the target groups for the seasonal influenza immunisation programme this year and the recommendation to reach 75% uptake.
|« Drug Safety Update - June 2011||SMC Update - June 2011 »|