The 62nd Edition of the British National Formulary has been published and it is currently being distributed in the NHS.
New or revised content in this version includes updated advice in the following areas:
- Controlled drugs in schedule 1, 2, 3 or 4 are now identified
- Rebound acid hypersecretion with proton pump inhibitors
- Management of haemorrhage in patients taking warfarin
- The section on antipsychotics has been updated to include guidance on drug choice, monitoring and side effects for first and second generation (atypical) antipsychotics
- Antiepileptic medication and breast-feeding
- Treatment of high-severity community-acquired pneumonia
- Pioglitazone and bladder cancer
- Starting and switching combined oral contraceptives
Action: All clinicians should start using BNF 62 as soon as the print version arrives. The web version can be used to access the latest information if necessary.
|« Drug Safety Update - October 2011||"Specials" reimbursement changing »|