Generic manufacturer Actavis has launched a generic version of olanzapine. The product has been launched as both conventional film coated tablets and as orodispersible tablets and is priced competitively compared to the pioneer brand Zyprexa®.
The potential cost savings will only be realised once the Drug Tariff prices are updated.
Reported prices are as follows:
- 28 x 2.5mg tablets - £6.56
- 28 x 5mg tablets - £13.11
- 56 x 7.5mg tablets - £39.33
- 28 x 10mg tablets - £26.22
- 28 x 15mg tablets - £35.75
- 28 x 20mg tablets - £47.67
- 28 x 5mg orodispersible tablets - £14.42
- 28 x 10mg orodispersible tablets - £26.22
- 28 x 15mg orodispersible tablets - £39.33
- 28 x 20mg orodispersible tablets - £52.44
These prices represent a 70% cost saving against the current prices for the pioneer brand.
Action: Clinicians should ensure prescriptions are issued generically to benefit from the cost savings made possible by this product launch.
|« NSAIDs and cardiovascular risk||Prodigy update - October 2011 »|