Xamiol discontinued

The manufacturer of Xamiol® has written to healthcare professionals advising that this product is being discontinued. The same letter advised that the 120g tube size of Dovonex® ointment is being replaced by a 30g tube size.

Xamiol contains calcipotriol and betamethasone in a gel formulation. It was licensed for use in scalp psoriasis. The manufacturer points out that Dovobet Gel is an identical product with a wider license; it can be used on the body as well as the scalp.

Dovonex ointment (calcipotriol) is also being replaced by a 30g tube size which the manufacturer says will allow greater flexibility to prescribe clinically appropriate quantities for smaller areas of psoriasis.

Action: Clinicians should be aware of these changes. Current prescriptions for Xamiol can be changed to generic to allow continued supply and quantities of Dovonex prescribed can be amended if necessary at routine reviews.

Share 'Xamiol discontinued' on Email Share 'Xamiol discontinued' on Delicious Share 'Xamiol discontinued' on Digg Share 'Xamiol discontinued' on Facebook Share 'Xamiol discontinued' on Google+ Share 'Xamiol discontinued' on reddit Share 'Xamiol discontinued' on StumbleUpon Share 'Xamiol discontinued' on Twitter

15 Comments to “Xamiol discontinued”

1. A children's skin specialist just prescribed Xamiol for my 7 year old daughter (for use on her scalp). I understand that the gel is not suitable for children and am not sure what to do about this. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comment by Gabi Bernstein — March 1, 2016 #

1. @Gabi

The gel simply hasn't been tested very much in children. There are limited data (109 volunteers in a study) in 12-17 year old but nothing for below that age of 12. It may well have been used in more children since then that the manufacturer are not aware of. It's now a case of deciding whether you want to use a potentially effective but not widely tested treatment as advised by a specialist or delay while you try to find an alternative that has been tested.

Comment by Matthew Robinson — March 4, 2016 #

2. My family doctor has prescribed Xamiol for my scalp psoriasis (2 years after the drug is discontinued!!). If he hasn't made any mistake in his diagnosis and I have scaly psoriasis, it is just a small area close to my left ear. My question now is which one of the Dovonex or Dovobet are better for my situation to cure my scalp psoriasis faster?

Comment by Jj — November 21, 2014 #

1. @jj,

I would have said that the Dovobet gel (which is identical to Xamiol in content) would be most likely to work faster.

Comment by Matthew Robinson — November 21, 2014 #

3. If xamiol cannot be applied to the body as dovebet can does this not mean that they are not the same?

Comment by Susan — July 3, 2013 #

1. @Susan,

Xamiol and Dovobet contain exactly the same ingredients and in the same proportions. The difference in the areas of application was only due to differences in the product licence. Essentially, that licence contains details of the agreed and authorised use. So they were the same product but the Dovobet can be used in more places.

Comment by Matthew Robinson — July 3, 2013 #

4. I wish someone had told the doctors in my local practice. I just got my repeat prescription sent back with "Item discontinued". I now have to make an appointment to tell my doctor that it's still available.

Comment by Tim — June 25, 2013 #

1. @Tim,

What a shame that the pharmacy didn't contact you GP by telephone and tell them what the alternative was called. And if they did do this then it's a shame your surgery didn't listen.

Comment by Matthew Robinson — June 27, 2013 #

5. Cut the tube open with a pair of scissors and take out the remaining treatment...Simple!

Comment by John — March 19, 2013 #

6. I completely agree with the first comment here. As a sufferer of scalp psoriasis for over 30 years. Xamiol was an absolute breakthrough for the treatment. Not only that it actually works but the ease of use against previous treatments is fantastic.
    it's not just about the treatment of psoriasis but also the anxiety and upset that goes with it.
    It would be impossible for someone on their own to apply a gel out of a tube to the right areas of the scalp.
    The discontinuation of xamiol is very distressing.

Comment by Nicola — February 27, 2013 #

1. @Nicola,

Xamiol has been discontinued as a trade name only. As stated above a product that is identical in every way is available, it is called Dovobet Gel.

Comment by Matthew Robinson — February 27, 2013 #

7. Why would you discontinue xamiol gel?

It is one of the only few creams that actually help serve scalp psoriasis!!!!

Comment by Andrea — August 23, 2012 #

1. @Andrea,

As stated above Xamiol Gel and Dovobet Gel are identical formulations, only the name is different. The former is discontinued while the latter remains available and can has a broader product license for use.

Comment by Matthew Robinson — August 24, 2012 #

8. I entirely agree with the previous comment. Although there is undoubtedly a need for a smaller tube size I am sure that regular users of the 120g Dovonex tube will see this as a grossly wasteful development

Comment by Mike Blundell — August 14, 2012 #

9. I don't agree with the manufacturer comments that "this will allow greater flexibility". This is nonesense. There is some other motive for making this change. In fact this is extremely wasteful as it is very difficult to get the full amount out of each tube, and by using 4 tubes instead of 1, the amount of waste is muliplyed by 4. Please re-instate the 120g Tube, or better still make it 240g tube.

Comment by Dennis Heaney — May 15, 2012 #