The British National Formulary for Children 2012-2013 has been updated, published and made available online.
Significant changes in this revision include:
- Proton pump inhibitors - rebound acid hypersecretion
- Oral anticoagulants - prescribing notes updated
- Antipsychotic drugs - section updated and reorganised
- Paracetamol - MHRA advice on oral doses for children
- Cellulitis - treatment update
- Aminoglycosides - section updated and reorganised
- Prophylaxis against malaria - recommendations for Argentina, Armenia, Bolivia, Dominican Republic, China, Iraq, Laos, Myanmar, Peru, and Venezuela
- Antithyroid drugs - use in pregnancy
- Bisphosphonates: atypical femoral fractures and osteonecrosis of the jaw
- Combined oral contraceptives - starting and switching contraceptive routines updated
- Several vaccine section updates
Action: BNFC is the primary source of prescribing information when prescribing to all children up to the age of 18 years.