The letter notes that the last flu season was quiet in England however other countries experienced more severe flu. As flu can be dangerous and is unpredictable it is hoped that vaccination rates will continue to improve. The letter also advises that an updated Seasonal flu plan for 2013/14 will be available soon.
The letter also contains several Annexes that cover the following areas:
- Groups recommended to receive flu vaccine
- GP practice checklist
- Pregnant women
- Health and social care workers
- Improving uptake and data collections
- Vaccine virus strains and available vaccines
- Vaccine supply and strategic reserve
- Contractual arrangements, service reviews and funding
- Summary of planned changes to the immunisation schedule in 2013/14
Vaccine uptake aspirations are also set as:
- reaching or exceeding 75% uptake for people aged 65 years and over
- reaching or exceeding 75% uptake for people under 65 years in clinical risk groups, including pregnant women
Action: Clinicians should be aware of the target vaccination groups and the uptake aspirations.