The 68th Edition of the British National Formulary has been published and it is currently being distributed in the NHS. As previously noted, the BNF will now only be distributed annually in the NHS.
New or revised content in this version includes updated advice in the following areas:
- Updated guidance on the incidence of venous thromboembolism associated with combined hormonal contraceptives
- Updated oral doses of amoxicillin and ampicillin for children
- New MHRA restrictions on the use of domperidone following a review of the risks and benefits of its use
- Changes made to the recommendations on interchangeability of oral mesalazine preparations
- New MHRA advice on self-administration of adrenaline for anaphylaxis
- The dose of naloxone for acute opioid overdosage in adults and children has been revised
- Updates to recommendations on doses and indications of paracetamol in children
- Updates to guidance on the treatment of epilepsy
Action: All clinicians should start using BNF 68 as soon as the print version arrives. The web version can be used to access the latest information if necessary.
|« Drug Safety Update - October 2014||NICE Guidance - October 2014 »|