The 72nd Edition of the British National Formulary has recently been published. As previously noted, hard copies of the BNF will now only be distributed annually in the NHS.
Some of the significant content updates in this edition include:
- New safety information about the risk of abnormal pregnancy outcomes with sodium valproate and valproic acid
- Updated guidance for conditions including asthma, obesity, coeliac disease, irritable bowel syndrome and prostate cancer
- New drug monographs including edoxaban, albiglutide, dulaglutide, dasabuvir, and vortioxetine
- Updated pregnancy-prevention advice for patients taking mycophenolate mofetil
- Updated guidance on the risk of hepatitis B reactivation with BCR-ABL tyrosine kinase inhibitors, and pomalidomide
- Advice about the risk of ulceration with nicorandil treatment
- NICE guidelines including the use of vedolizumab for treating moderately to severely active Crohn’s disease
- New guidance on suspected or confirmed drug allergy
- Evidence grading of BNF recommendations
Action: All clinicians should start using BNF 72 via electronic methods were possible. The web version can be used to access the latest information if necessary.
|« NICE Guidance - November 2016||CKS Updates - November 2016 »|