Cilest to be discontinued

The manufacturer of Cilest® (norgestimate and ethinyl estradiol) has written to healthcare professionals advising that this product will be discontinued with effect from July 2019.

The letter states that this was a commercial decision to exit the oral hormonal contraceptive market and it is stressed that the are no safety, efficacy or quality issues with the product. Current supplies are expected to last until mid-July 2019.

There are two alternative products that are currently available in the UK with the same active ingredients - Cilique® and Lizinna®.

Action: Clinicians should be aware of this product being discontinued. It would be prudent to run clinical system searches to identify any patients who are currently prescribed this product to allow a review and arrangements made to identify a suitable alternative.

Advert
Both Cilique and Lizinna (and other OCP brands) are available privately from UK regulated online clinics such as Dr Fox Pharmacy.
This product or service is not endorsed by Prescriber.org.uk

Share 'Cilest to be discontinued' on Email Share 'Cilest to be discontinued' on Delicious Share 'Cilest to be discontinued' on Digg Share 'Cilest to be discontinued' on Facebook Share 'Cilest to be discontinued' on reddit Share 'Cilest to be discontinued' on Twitter

8 Comments to “Cilest to be discontinued”

1. Funny thing is it's 2020 and I'm still on that pill 😂

Comment by Chloé — January 27, 2020 #

1. @Chloé,

Cilest is definitely discontinued, last batches supplied by the manufacturer expire around September 2020 so it's not that unusual.

Comment by Matthew Robinson — January 28, 2020 #

2. Are the alternatives the same composition (carrier ingredients as well as active ingredients)? I have used cilest for 25 years and am very concerned about potential side effects of other brands.

Comment by Emma Howes — December 18, 2019 #

1. @Emma Howes,

The full ingredient list for Cilique and Lizinna are different although the active ingredients are that same of course. As far as I can tell the Cilique is identical in content to Cilest.

Comment by Matthew Robinson — December 19, 2019 #

2. I have used Cilest for years. I have had 3 months on Cilique and I can honestly say I'm going mental. I know it's different for everyone. But I'm not the same person I was 3 months ago. I have no patience, I'm snappy, emotional. I have put on weight. I have stopped taking it and I'm gutted that Cilest has been discontinued.

Comment by Emily — January 29, 2020 #

1. @Emily,

As far as I can tell the ingredient list for Cilest and Cilique is identical so that's really unusual and must be frustrating for you. But, if it isn't suiting you it's better to stop and see your doctor or practice nurse for something different.

Comment by Matthew Robinson — January 30, 2020 #

3. Can I ask that it does not get discontinued. My last pack went missing out of my top drawer and me and my family have used it for years - really annoying. I do not want another version of it - I want that re-prescribed to me.

Thanks

Comment by Crystal Astrid Palmer Tompkinson — May 14, 2019 #

1. @Crystal,

I'm not the manufacturer and have no control over this product.

Comment by Matthew Robinson — May 14, 2019 #